Saturday, January 17, 2009

Well, Today is our last day in New Orleans, and I must say, It has been a phenomenal trip and experience. I loved being immersed in the New Orleans culture and also being able to make such a huge impact on the lives of my homeowners and the members of the local community. This week i worked rebuilding a house on Orleans Avenue. Through the help of my construction manager, Duncan, I built a closet and two sets of stairs this week. Duncan helped teach me how to efficiently frame, drywall, mud, and tape. In addition, Duncan taught us a lot about the culture and history of New Orleans.
This trip has truly been an eye-opener to all the injustice that is present in our country. It is very saddening to see all of the devastated houses, even after about 3 and a half years. Seeing the lower ninth-ward and the remnants of the hundreds of houses that used to be there is very disappointing. If the chance presents itself again in the future, I will definitely make a return trip back down to New Orleans to help the continuing efforts of home rebuilding. As Duncan told us, it is estimated that the rebuilding will continue for about another 10 years if we continue on our current pace.
Our Homeowners Al and Mary were also great. They had some incredible stories to share which were very enlightening and interesting. I greatly enjoyed talking with them when they were around. Yesterday, Mary brought my group to a local restaurant which served some local cuisine. I got a dish which had fried catfish, shrimp, and oysters which was fantastic.
I am very sad to be leaving New Orleans. I wish I could stay longer and complete more work for our homeowners and other members of the community. I have learned so much this past week, and I will not forget about the people down here and their incredible stories.

No comments: