Tuesday, January 20, 2009

..33 hours later

As much as 33 hours of driving was a bit much, I strongly feel that it built even more character within all of us along the journey. It's hard to believe that the week that has been talked about since day 1 of my Bonner experience has finally ended. The days were some of the most meaningful I have ever had, and I am glad truly proud of all of us. Coming from diverse positions of leadership in the past, all of us were used to stepping forward and claiming leadership roles within groups of our peers in high school. It was both interesting and challenging to be forced into a situation where there really were no subordinates. We were all leaders forced together to accomplish a common goal. Learning to listen, stepping forward when you feel necessary, and understanding that one way, or your way, is not always the correct one were a few of the many things that this service trip helped me realize.
Overall, I feel that the overall consensus of the group is that it felt so good, no actually unbelieveable, to contribute all that we did. The physical labor and emotional support we provided for our homeowners are what was most in need and that is what we provided. I am so thankful that the Bonner Center Staff and champerones made this trip possible it provided me with memories that will last a lifetime and allowed me to regain the spark I have for serving to the greatest extent.
Ashley :)

No comments: