Sunday, January 11, 2009

We Have Arrived

I braced myself for the worst yet was still left speechless by the dismal landscape that was the lower 9th ward. I envisioned something entirely different for the city, seeing as over four years have passed since Katrina hit. What was once a thriving suburb is now a barren stretch of land - a vestige of what once was. A few houses have been reconstructed while the majority are still in shambles. I can't help but to reflect on those who now inhabit the city and how strong they all must be. What must they feel when they look out of their windows? Do they feel alone or empty?
The experience today made me wish I could single handedly rebuild New Orleans. (Impossible - I know) Still, like everyone, I wish more was being done. It has been four years, yet it doesn't appear as though much time has elapsed. This is why we're here though. Granted, our mission isn't to bebuild New Orleans. It's like the saying goes - this greatest mistake you can make is doing nothing because you can only do a little.
Looking forward to getting my hands dirty!

No comments: