Friday, January 16, 2009

Day 5

Today was our final work day.  Unfortunately, the perk of being in the South where one would believe it to be warm, did not help us out today--it was bitter cold. Once we got to work, our complaints of runny noses and numb finger tips quickly stopped.  We were outside working side by side with people who have the same vision as ourselves, aiding others in need, and we were going to finish the week off strong.

Although our house was months from being finished, this week we completed the tiling in the kitchen, bathroom, the bamboo floors in a potential (I believe) dining room, and stripped the old, tattered roof.

As much as it was great to see physical proof of our progress after five work days, forming a relationship with our construction site manager Kate and getting to speak with our home owner Victoria and other locals, was to me the most rewarding aspect of the trip.  Understanding that these individuals are just people like myself became a reality to me.  

I truly hope to return home and share, with as many people who are willing to listen, my story of my week of service in New Orleans, Louisiana.  "I do not want anyone to forget about what Katrina did to New Orleans," as a local named Earl put it, and that is exactly how I feel.  

Ashley :)

No comments: