Monday, January 12, 2009

hmmm

So I figured I might as well post tonight before I forget everything I want to say. Yesterday we toured the ninth ward and the one thing that struck me, as it did during my first trip here, was the front steps of a home leading to absolutely nothing. There were steps upon steps leading to no where. For some reason those scenes struck me far more that the broken down houses. It seems to desperate, so hopeless.
Today we went to our sites for the first time and well...we had to be flexible haha as usual. Our house wasn't ready so we ended up doing some odd jobs. Moving debris from around a half constructed house...concrete slabs and cinder blocks. Fun heavy hauling. I worked with Su mostly and I was really proud of how upbeat we stayed and how innovative we got with what we had. We even thought to pull the lids off the bottles for a woman who is using them to get a free chemo treatment. Then later after lunch we moved to do some yard work....like extreme yard work. Weeds waist high. I think I might have scared Narolyn when I went to the backyard...haha my team understands. The house next to that was still essentially untouched since the storm. As I walked through the house there were two things that struck me that really motivated and inspired me. Hanging on the wall was this framed poem about a mother. The background had faded and molded but the poem was still intact filled with words of love and encouragement. Morgan also found this porcelein bell among broken dishes that had an inspirational quote about how love and friendship was what made a home not material possessions. It was touching that these were the items that had endured the winds and waters and rain. These really are the things that have kept New Orleans going: love and friendship.
I'm stopping, this is long. Hope you're all well!!!!
~K

No comments: