Thursday, January 15, 2009

Days 3 & 4

The past two days have been like nothing I have ever experienced. Moving on to another home, which was in its initial steps of restoration was quite different than the work we did on our first home. Jared, Kat, & I were working on the roof of a woman's home named Victoria, also known as Victory (and yes, I love the symbolism in that). We ripped down the weathered shingles and any other debris that remained. Naomi, Kristina, & Leanne worked on other various jobs such as laying down "Hardybacker" and tiles in both the kitchen and bathroom. I cannot remember the last time I woke up as sore as I did Wednesday, but my aches served as a constant reminder to me throughout the day of how hard my team and I were working to aid all of the individuals who were more than deserving of the help.

My team was also very privileged enough to meet Victoria. Her words were honestly touching. She spoke of how she moved to Texas shortly before the storm hit and stayed there for approximately two years. When she finally decided it was time to return home, she held her breath as she walked into her side door. She told us that she cried in every room she walked it. All of her memories, all of her treasures were gone. She couldn't get any of it back, and this broke her heart. After finally getting her thoughts back in line, she hired a contractor, who ended up being a scam. Victoria was left with a mere $5,000 and that is why she is now working with PDA.

I cannot believe the week has gone by so quickly. Tomorrow is our last day and I am looking forward to talking to Victoria one last time.

Ashley :)

No comments: