Monday, January 12, 2009

eighth trip down, first time leading construction

Although this is my eighth service trip down to the gulf region, im happy to say that this was the first time where i completely was in charge of construction. I had lead gutting teams before, which was mostly self explanatory and didnt need much supervision from me, but this was the first time where i got the opportunity to be almost 100% alone in organizing the construction efforts for the house that we were stationed at.

Im proud to say that I think that I did ok in leading the group, considering that I had no idea how to do what we did at the start of the day. However, we worked very effectively throughout the entire day, never giving up and always figuring out ways to complete our tasks. Even though ive been down so many times, i didnt think i would be comfortable completely leading the construction. I guess that when youre forced to step up you leave all hesitation behind and rely more on yourself and your teammates rather than the site manager for answers. Im thankful to have had this opportunity to be put to the test.

No comments: