Wednesday, January 21, 2009

home at last

I still cannot believe I am New Jersey. Sunday’s drive was an adventure to say the least. I wanted to get back safely more than I wanted to get back in time. The snowstorm in Tennessee was something I had never experienced before. It was new to me to be on the road in such harsh conditions and I was really glad our van was the only one that nothing happened to. There were some close calls but we managed to come out in one piece.
I have also never crossed a median (or two) in my life and that is also something I will never forget. So many things could have gone wrong but Maria did a really good job driving the van. Without her we would have reached New Jersey way later than we did. I believe God really answered my prayers and kept us safe the whole ride back because it really could have gone a different direction.
Going on this trip has changed my perspective on a lot of things. I am really proud of the help we gave to these survivors collectively and I hope people continue to go back and help rebuild time after time. Every day, I myself hope that I can go back again one day and as soon as I can. The job is definitely not done. After being back in school, all my friends have asked me about the trip and the one important thing I stress to them is that the rebuilding is not finished. I remember what my home owner, Ken Short, always told us. He advised us to take the stories back with us and share these stories with others. I hope I inspire someone with a story and cause them to want to go on the same journey I was blessed to be a part of.

Jax

No comments: